Jinx in the Sky

Jinx in the Sky

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

DIY: Glitter Desk



I've turned the (previously paint-marked and scratched) surface of my desk into glitter wonderland. Its fresh, dreamy new look makes me wanna sit down more often and sketch/write down new ideas. :)






♥ You'll need: ♥

- A desk or so :)
- Varnish
- Glitter (they're still the same ones from my glitter shoes - glitter goes a long way)
- A large brush
- A cup of warm water to quickly put the brush in after use




Wipe your desk (paint marks don't matter but just get dust off) and pour some varnish onto the desk straight from the bottle.




Spread it out evenly and reasonably fast (we don't want it to dry before you start beglittering it)




Put brush in warm water straightaway or the varnish will dry into the brush.




To save time I invented the "glitterbomb" technique which means grab as much glitter as you can...




...and start shaking like a mad unicorn! :)




Pay attention to also get equal amounts of glitter on the edges. If you wanna prevent too much glitter from getting wasted on the floor hold a magazine next to it and beglitter on that. Then shake it out over the desk.




After the first layer (when you feel like the varnish can hold no more glitter) it's time to pat down the glitter particles with your hand to make them sit flat.

Then:
---------------------WAIT FOR A DAY----------------------




When the varnish is all dry repeat pouring on varnish, spreading it, shaking glitter onto it, patting it down. If you like wait another day and give it a final layer of just varnish it'll make it less of a rough surface.






I also added some rhinestones to the drawers :)




All done! This is my cleaned and beglittered new artspace!




My plant is taking over the wall hiding Karen Elson in bed with a crocodile...




Glitter desk at nighttime - the middle part is seen through my mirror-kaleidoscope.




My (dead) bedazzled weta approves of glitter wonderland :)




♥♥♥ Now get your hands glittery! ♥♥♥

17 comments:

  1. That's such a great idea! Thanks for the tutorial, I will have to try this sometime.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure why Blogger deleted my comment before, but I love your "new" desk! I wish I could figure out how to incorporate some glittery things into my decor, but I have such a neo-Victorian style otherwise... Maybe some accessories that I can hide away, in black and white instead of my usual blues and aquas?

    If it's of interest to you, my ex's house had glittered ceilings when we moved into his new house. The last owner had black walls and silver glitter sparsely spray-painted onto the white popcorn ceiling finish so that during the day, you don't notice it, but at night with candles or a paper lamp on, it transforms into a glittering constellation! It's especially pretty when reflected in an old silvered mirror. Give it a go sometime! I'm thinking of trying it when I get my own place (ie, not an apartment). <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glitter ceilings! that sounds awesome! this place is not my own either so can only go crazy on my furniture for now as well :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so tempted to run out and buy a second hand desk just to do this on!
    What a wonderful idea!

    http://tracksforlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, i'm about to try this out on a table, i was wondering, do you cover the whole thing in varnish before glittering it? or do you have to do it one bit at a time? i'm just thinking the varnish might dry too fast on a large surface(i think my table is probably close to the size of your desk).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I covered the whole table and went quite fast with the glittering. If your table is larger i guess you could section it up but i wouldnt do squares or anything to defined or it won't look consistent later. If you have to section it off i'd do it with messy gradient edges. And you can even things out when you do the next layer and section it off differently to the bottom layer. Hope that helps, would love to see pictures :)

      Delete
  5. You work is brilliant! The bedazzled arthropod is such a treat!!!! Taaaaaaaaank oooooooooo! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial! I just finished the top of my coffee table and it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that's awesome! got a photo? id love to see! :)

      Delete
  7. Is there anything you need to add onto the top of the glitter so it doesn't come off? any clear coat, polyurethane? etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. another coat of varnish helps to make the surface smoother.

      Delete
  8. Sensational! Thank you for sharing this brillant masterpiece. You have inspired me to get glittering! c-:

    ReplyDelete
  9. where do you buy your glitter from. ive looked around and its quite expensive for the good stuff (martha steward) but thank god my boyfriend works at Michael's lol. ive been looking around town and the cheapest is Michael's considering the discounts from my boyfriend. just wondering where you got yours, what brand, and what grain you use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure where you live but here in new zealand you can get cheap glitter in dollar stores which is what i used. also you don't need as much as you think! maybe get a pack of multi coloured ones instead of many different colour packs if they're so expensive?

      Delete
  10. Would Mod Podge (Gloss) be a good substitute for the gloss varnish?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, I made this! Thank you for your inspiration and tutorial, I had a good time glitterbombing :D It turned out to be an expensive project for me but I enjoyed it all the same.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...